Electrosensitivity (ES) or Electromagnetic-Hypersensitivity (EHS) is a physical condition marked by inability to function in the presence of EMF exposure to e.g. cell/mobile and cordless phones, celltowers/masts, WiFi, smart meters, CFLs, LEDs, TETRA, powerlines. ES-UK.info works to raise awareness of EHS in the UK and worldwide, offering us new facts and, to go with them, a new perspective on Electrosensitive Disability.
Where Does EHS Fall on the Scale of % of Population, Compared to Other Disabilities?
The facts may surprise you. Here is a list of disabled groups of people in the UK represented by their numbers and by their percentage of the total UK population of about 67 million people (ordered lowest to highest):
- 103,000 (0.15%): Crohn’s (Crohn’s and Colitis, 2020)
- 107,000 (0.16%): Multiple Sclerosis (MS-UK, 2020)
- 145,000 (0.2%): Parkinson’s (Parkinsons.org, 2020)
- 350,000 (0.5%) Registered blind & partially sighted (Stat.Res, 2018)
- 600,000 (1%) Epilepsy (Epilepsy Action, 2020)
- 700,000 (1.04%) Autism (National Autistic Society, 2020)
- 804,000 (1.2%) Severely affected by EMFs (Bevington M, 2019)
- 850,000 (1.3%) Dementia (Prince et al. Alzheimer’s Society, 2014)
- 1,184,000 (1.87%) Wheelchair users (Perry FC, Muscular Dystrophy UK, 2015)
Another recent survey by the highly respected ES-UK group in the United Kingdom gives us these additional new facts about EHS and helps us put them all into clearer perspective to understand the seriousness of this rapidly growing disability.
• Common symptoms: headaches, skin problems, insomnia, fatigue, anxiety, memory loss, cognitive confusion, muscle pains, heart palpitations, irritability, cancers. Some EHS people also react to chemicals.
• The key treatment is avoiding radiation(e.g. mobiles,WiFi and Smart Meters) and especially in bedrooms. Some EHS use military-style shielding or protective clothing, or live far from man-made radiation if they can.
• Mechanisms: e.g. cryptochrome, demyelination, Hsp70, retrovirus, ROS, subtle energy, vagal nerve, VGCC.
• 4% of the UK (2.7m) has EM sensitivity (UK government-sponsored survey), about 1.2% (804,000) severe sensitivity, 0.65% restricted work, and up to 80% subconscious sensitivity (e.g. chronic inflammation).
• The World Health Organization classifies Electrosensitivityas an Environmental Intolerance (IEI-EMF) and states that it can be disabling but its Backgrounder 296 is outdated (2005). Various ICD-10 codes apply.
• Diagnosis of ES and EHS, by some NHS hospitals and GPs since 2013, includes: clinical history of EM sensitivity and exposure, 3d fMRI, cerebral blood perfusion scans (UCTS), DNA, H, HRV, Hsp, MT, sAA, TSH.
• EHS is recognised legally by UK tribunals as a disability, for adults and children (from 2012). Schools and employers must prevent ES(H&S At Work,1974) and make adjustments for ES people (Equality Act2010).
• The WHO’s IARC classifies EMFs, both Radio Frequency and ELF, as Group 2B human carcinogens – possibly cancer causing. Since 2013 experts have said EMFs should be reclassified as Group 1A human carcinogens – certainly cancer causing.
• IGNIR gives long-term biological exposure guidelines (2108). ICNIRP’s short-term heating limits are obsolete.
• Electrosensitivity was first described in the medical literature in 1932. It began with electrical, radio and radar workers. Since then it has spread into the general population, as wireless devices became common.
• The different condition of Electrophobia (EPh, nocebo effect) is psychological. It affects about 1% of EHS people. EPh’s prior psychological conditioning cannot apply to EHS children, unaware adults and animals.
Reproduced with thanks to ES-UK,
the United Kingdom Electrosensitivity support site.
Follow the 5G Legal Action Occurring in the UK:
Legal Action Against 5G: https://actionagainst5g.org/
Crowd Justice donation page https://www.crowdjustice.com/case/legalactionagainst5g/
“Michael Mansfield QC is leading the ES-UK legal team challenging the UK Government over its failure to take notice of the health risks and public concern related to 5G. One of the most venerated barristers of our time, Michael Mansfield has led legal teams in high profile cases of civil liberty and miscarriages of justice. He has represented the families of Grenfell Tower, Lockerbie, the Ballymurphy Massacre and Stephen Lawrence. He was recently described as “the king of human rights work” by The Legal 500 and as a Leading Silk in civil liberties and human rights.”
5G Judicial Review 2020
“This page is the website of (Attorney) Solicitor Jessica Learmond-Criqui, detailing her UK legal action against wireless 5G, radiofrequency radiation (“RFR”) and electromagnetic fields (“EMFs”) generally due to their impact on the health of humans, animals and plants. Many people are sensitive to RFR and EMFs and suffer illness, distress and financial loss due to inability to work. The balance of scientific evidence is now clear that RFR/EMFs are harmful to humans. The UK government insist on using ICNIRP’s guidelines to set limits of radiation for public health. ICNIRP’s guidelines are not fit for purpose as, among other things, they only recognise harm from heating of the body and are set for short term exposure – 6 minutes in fact. Many people suffer harm without any heating of their bodies.”